Awareness Drives Hype: Not Utility

none of us need to be genious to see what Ada is doing great and what Icon is doing bad. It is public relationship in Charles Hoskinson who is constantly convincing community Ada is “the coin” by simply talking to people. He does not do anything special, just simple livestreaming. Is that hard to see?

check this view. Most of small investors are not looking at crypto coins as for example Icon team does. Team lead can say we are looking at the long run and we have slow approach. But me as a small investor (maybe not so small as I have 100k) think, ok I will choose Icon (since 2017) as this is the coin that has small risk and it can bring good earnings. I wont look at other small cap coins as they have higher risk. Now, situation changes in bull run, as now we have same marketcap coins (EGLD, Ocean, ZRX, Aave, even Ada…) that starts to moon. And our coin does not follow this rise, this brings question to small investors, when will my coin price rise? Some may say, well, its ok, it will rise, wait, this is long run. For small investor, this is opportunity cost. I could have bought this and that and have this and that. Ok, this is why we as community dont like “slow, easy going” approach. And that is why we come with ideas that we should improve things, as if it did not work till now, what makes us think it will work out later. As for Icon partnerships, they are great, but me as I work in a bank, I know how much banks are slow, and it may take years to adopt this new tech.

“Too many investors are allocating funds based on twitter sentiment or YouTube influencers. Many of them are investing without understanding what they own and why it has value or will have value in the future.”
Yes, and that is why we should do livestreaming (senior developer) with community and developers, as investors will run to shitcoins instead of Icon. Proof is Ada, Polkadot, they do livestreaming and look where they are now. Twitter, articles are ok, but it aint bring investors. We tried that.

I think @ricky_dodds hit the nail on the head here, but I’ll share some thoughts too.

First and foremost, to everybody watching this thread - ICON core contributors (myself included) all recognize that things could be better on two fronts - social media engagement and developer engagement/content. Both gaps are in the process of being filled. So let’s come together here and realize we’re all on the same team and working in the same direction.

One thing I want to point out is that there is no clear answer about utility vs awareness. I believe it’s a mix of both, both are helpful, not just one or the other and I’d like to think we all agree there.

LUNA is an example of waiting for utility. LUNA made a big push when Mirror launched. Before Mirror there were a couple articles about their Chai application and some fundraising announcements, but nothing that was drawing the attention of Crypto Twitter and retail. Then Mirror came out and they blasted it out like crazy. They went a more utility route and I hope that Balanced, Omm, Bridge and the many other products building on ICON will have a similar effect as we all band together to promote.

ADA and DOT are of the other camp. Neither of which have technology capable of anything more than staking and token transfer. They have no dapps, no smart contracts, etc. (last I checked, correct me if wrong). But they have industry awareness/narrative and the founders of both projects are Ethereum Co-Founders (which leads to support from more investors and ETH community in general). Also, to be clear, I’m sure both projects have great teams and technology, just trying to put things into perspective.

Both are important, and we’re working on both.

As for awareness specifically, I also believe that community sentiment is important. I believe posting threads like this on twitter (and even here) are a net negative for community sentiment and growth (things that I hope we can work together on to increase).

I’d encourage a different strategy of reaching out to me first in DM as @Fezbox and many others do (I typically respond within 24 hours), getting the information you feel is lacking and asking the questions you have, then creating a more promotional/positive post sharing the things that we discussed. @CoreyC maybe you, me and Fez can work together on this strategy to disseminate information the most efficient and effective way possible.

Overall I love the passion of the ICON community and appreciate the effort that everybody puts forth to make this project better.

12 Likes

I think we need to have a developer or CEO come out and talk about the great things about the icon. Because there are many people who do not know the technology of the icon even the holder of the icon

2 Likes

Least we miss out, a large VC Mike Novogratz is/has publicising Luna to a large audiance, and many thank him for ‘getting them in early’.

Awareness for ICON does need to be implicated. Put the news out there how ICON is beneficial to the community and its uses. Basics are needed here. Why should the people care about ICON or blockchain for that matter other than “It will change the future.”