Awareness Drives Hype: Not Utility

Many of you will disagree with me here and that’s fine. I don’t want to speak in absolutes when I say utility is useless when it comes to price increase, but it doesn’t have nearly the affect people realize, if this was the case, staking yields, BalancedDAO, OMM, CPS, Bridge, MyID, Zzeung, Visitme, EPICx, Project Nebula, Stash, Marvelous, Broof, Multi-channel technology and BTP etc. would have driven ICON to all time highs already, and we can’t even break a dollar. I see very few attempts of garnering awareness for the ICON Project, specifically on their Twitter. I’m sorry, a product will not market itself without a fundamental base, we’re not Coca Cola, we’re not McDonalds, we’re not Call of Duty; we’re a blockchain project in a new asset class in an extremely tight niche community that only grows behind a wall. If we look at Dogecoin for example, the hype around it is massive (whether that be a good thing or not is subjective), if we look at Elrond Gold, their marketing campaign is incredible, Charles of Cardano is on a six hour livestream as we speak spreading awareness about ADA, because awareness + price increase= value in the blockchain space. A product will not market itself if it is a tree in a forest and nobody is there to hear it.

Doesn’t the fact that the community is pleading for communication, more professional Twitter posts from the Foundation (besides retweets), and more awareness outside the ICON Community speak for itself that there is obviously an issue surrounding outreach? We have a Twitter page of approximately 120k followers, if utilized correctly, that would be gigantic. You’d be surprised how many people message me daily, begging me to bring this to the Foundation because they’re too afraid to be blocked or shunned by over-zealous ICONist’s who think marketing doesn’t matter and that enterprise adoption speaks for itself. If we look at the monetary value of ICX, even with over 55% of the coins staked, this notion doesn’t hold true. I barely see members of the Foundation promoting ICON, with the exception of (Scott Smiley) anywhere besides a few AMA’s and podcasts with Min. Hate me for bringing this forward because it’ll breed cognitive dissonance, I no longer care if I can be frank, something needs to be changed, and if the community is begging for these dynamic paradigm shifts for over two years, maybe its time to actually listen instead of looking at ICON from a traditional banking standpoint.

13 Likes

I agree with this Corey. Let’s go!

Who is this directed at? The Foundation?

Hey @minhx do you mind if we take sometime and feed you tweets and content?

“Doesn’t the fact that the community is pleading for communication, more professional Twitter posts from the Foundation (besides retweets), and more awareness outside the ICON Community speak for itself that there is obviously an issue surrounding outreach?”

Yes, I think the constant demand for marketing is partially driven by holders wanting to be marketed to themselves by the foundation. THEY want info for themselves, as well as the greater crypto community

4 Likes

Also, a social media calendar works very well.

There is a lot here. A large portion of the community feels this way about marketing. It really needs to be addressed.
I want to zero in on the who looking after the icon foundation twitter account. I am surprised at the lack of engagement.

6 Likes

True. Is this something you are already working on @minhx? If so, then ill be quiet

Who ever it is its a challenge thats for sure. Its not easy. We hired a CMO at Bolt now just for this. Streamlining communication is a key component to the position as well.

BalancedDAO, OMM, CPS, Bridge, MyID, Zzeung, Visitme, EPICx, Project Nebula, Stash, Marvelous, Broof, Multi-channel technology and BTP are easy to promote.

Perhaps a community focused group/ Chat can work.

I think if the foundation hired a full time marketing person for the public chain (and a tech lead) everyone’s lives would be better and ICON would absolutely crush it.

5 Likes

You have nailed it. Community manager is needed. We should not have to ask for this via CPS. We need a Coordinated approach here.

7 Likes

What could be an idea is if that could be a new Project. 250k goes a long way.

They are actively working on hiring a dev lead. This should definitely help. the tech lead wont help with comms tho. still a huge step in the right direction.

3 Likes

Agreed thats for sure. Thoughts @minhx?

1 Like

Interviewed, Hired and Progress reports to the community. Cool idea. Decentralized marketing?

1 Like

I think the tech lead could help greatly with comms to the dev community. That combined with a marketing person would be a knockout punch

2 Likes

Write it up man, id support it

2 Likes

Yep! That’s one quality the successful candidate should have

1 Like

first step , just make a gift to a big twitter account and a youtuber and let them shill their own bags , or give them at half a price of what icx is right now , make a deal with them to shill the coin till 4$ lets say and the rest will do the traders till ATH , that is a step what can ICON make at a cheap price IMO

2 Likes