Renaming the CPS -> ICON Ecosystem Fund

I would like to propose a name change for ICON’s Contribution Proposal System (CPS).

With our recent effort to update ICON’s terminology to something more familiar to the general crypto community, I think the CPS falls under this purview.

Since the CPS will be funded by ICON inflation, and is governed by ICON’s validators, I believe the most logical name change for the CPS is the “ICON Ecosystem Fund”.

The ICON Ecosystem Fund is a more brandable name, describes the protocol more accurately and may even psychologically help the community feel ownership of these funds (causing better voting/funding decisions to be made).

4 Likes

I like the idea - it’s more clear and industry standard than the current terminology.

One thing to consider is that Ecosystem Fund maybe doesn’t sound decentralized? More like a traditional VC Fund. Not a big deal either way tbh, but wanted to throw it out there for some food for thought. Maybe “ICON Community Fund” sounds a bit more decentralized?

3 Likes

ICON Decentralized Ecosystem Fund?

2 Likes

Feels a bit too long for me, but definitely a possibility

De-Icon Ecosystem Fund :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just kidding. I think changing CPS to either ICON Ecosystem Fund or ICON Decentralized Ecosystem Fund, would definitely be an improvement. Much more easily recognizable for purpose :+1:t2:

1 Like

Agreed, the name change makes sense

1 Like

This is a good move TJ!

Whilst I like the name change to Icon Ecosystem Fund , how about Icon Growth Fund ?

1 Like

Here’s a list of 15 grant fund names from around the industry: 15 Crypto Grants You Should Know About - Identity Review | Global Tech Think Tank - Identity Review | Global Tech Think Tank

I think “ICON Innovation Fund” or “ICON Web3 Fund” are concise and hit “branding” buzzwords.

@maxicongrowth Great points! If the term were a bit more general, like “Innovation” or “Web3” instead of “Ecosystem”, do you think it would change the way that people think about the fund? Would that lead to the fund being used differently as well? :thinking:

@theconnectooor I’m generally in favor of getting rid of abbreviations in every case, so I much prefer Ecosystem Fund over CPS

2 Likes

I think so. I was more just including them as possibilities since they were on the linked list.

Personally I like “ICON Grants” or “ICON Ecosystem Fund”. They’re to the point and easy to remember.

3 Likes

ICON Ecosystem Fund. :+1:this is more understandable

2 Likes

Welcome to the ICON Ecosystem Fund for developers and teams:

• Decentralized
  • Stablecoin denominated
  • Open application
  • Self-sustainable

:point_up_2: Sounds good to me!

1 Like

Icon Ecosystem Fund sounds much better than CPS. Great idea.

4 Likes

Agree, ICON Ecosystem Fund sounds a lot more allround and summarizing the use better. Although I think with such a name maybe the requirements for the “CPS” should go more to ICON Ecosystem first, instead of projects launching first on other chains. To be clear this is no attack on Wonderland or SuperNode in any way, therer wasn’t much choice with BTP delays etc. just noting it for future proposals.

3 Likes