Discussed at ICON P-Rep Weekly Meeting #1
Teams had a mixed opinion on this topic.
Some ideas that were presented in the meeting…
- For the most part Sub P-Rep nodes function as citizen nodes at this time. The ICON network is not under heavy usage at the moment, so a large number of citizen nodes provides unnecessary buffer to relay requests to P-Rep nodes.
- Many teams are not technical, and forcing teams to run a node will take away their time/effort, which can be used to work on what they’re good at (e.g. marketing, bizdev, etc.)
- The debate is between practicality and philosophy. Some believe that running a node is a core requirement to be a P-Rep (philosophical), some believe that running a node is a soft requirement that can be fulfilled if the team can do so without wasting time/effort (practical).
- Many Sub P-Rep nodes are operated by OAKNODE. Depending on your views, this is a layer of centralization as without OAKNODE, these teams may not have the technical expertise or interest in securing a node.
- Blockmove suggested a more practical solution like onboarding more active Sub P-Rep nodes rather than taking a governance-level action.