SesameOpen: A Middle-Layer Protocol for Commerce 3.0 (a community oriented, owned, and operated commerce network) on ICON
Development & Community
Blockchain and token economics enable the next evolution of commerce – Commerce 3.0 – in which the traditional centralized retail and ecommerce structures are replaced with decentralized networks. Commerce 3.0 is inherently cross-chain, but it requires a critical middle-layer protocol that sits on top of multiple blockchains to incentivize and structure commerce transactions. SesameOpen provides that middle-layer protocol and the token economics that drive Commerce 3.0.
With its strong community and growing development efforts, ICON has the potential to become one of the leading blockchains for Commerce 3.0. For this project, SesameOpen seeks to jumpstart ICON’s ability to support commerce by expanding SesameOpen Protocol to the ICON blockchain. More specifically, we plan to develop a series of reference smart contracts and Dapps to showcase the protocol and its underlying token economics, and to provide the developer specs for the Dapp development community on ICON to leverage the SesameOpen Protocol. Also as part of the project, SesameOpen will educate the ICON community about Commerce 3.0 and work to attract additional advocates of decentralized commerce to the ICON community.
As a result, ICON can leapfrog other blockchains in their support of decentralized commerce. The resulting network growth from buyers, sellers, and communities using ICON and the SesameOpen Protocol will cement ICON’s status as a “commerce-positive” blockchain and propel further usage by commerce Dapp developers.
The SesameOpen team is well-positioned to develop the protocol and reference Dapps on the ICON blockchain and to grow the Commerce 3.0 network. Our lead developer on this project is an expert in token economics – published in VentureBeat, HackerNoon, and CoinMarketCap – and has significant development experience in multiple front-end and back-end languages, including with smart contracts on the Ethereum blockchain. Our lead marketing resource has 20+ years of technology marketing experience, most recently building a Commerce 3.0 community from scratch in Korea. Those experiences are directly applicable to this project and will help ensure success.
We expect a project duration of 6 months from the date of funding. The product development is divided into 3 phases:
- Smart contract development on ICON blockchain to showcase the SesameOpen protocol
- Reference Dapp development
- Developer documentation to support Dapp ecosystem on ICON
Throughout the project, on the community and marketing side, we expect to engage the ICON community and those outside the community to create momentum and excitement for ICON as a leader in Commerce 3.0.
After the duration of the project, the SesameOpen Foundation will continue to support and grow the Commerce 3.0 network on ICON to encourage buyers, sellers, and communities to come together.
This project has several milestones that will be detailed in monthly progress reports. In particular, we will keep the ICON community informed and solicit feedback about Protocol Design, Protocol Development on ICON, Dapp UX/UI, Dapp Implementation, and Developer Documentation Completion. Further, once the protocol is released and reference Dapps are created, SesameOpen will regularly report on the network growth and usage of Commerce 3.0 on ICON.
Funding Amount Requested
SesameOpen is requesting funding solely to cover the team’s salaries and expenses for the duration of the project. We will have 2 full-time project members plus freelancers that will be engaged during different phases of the project. Below find the summary of team members required:
- Fullstack/Blockchain developer: Responsible for building the core protocol on ICON and developing the reference Dapps and smart contracts (expected full-time on project for 6 months @ $8,000/mo)
- Communication/Marketing manager: Responsible for engaging the ICON community, outside developers, and commerce participants to nurture and grow the Commerce 3.0 network (expected full-time on project for 6 months @ $4,000/mo)
- UI/UX Designer: Responsible for designing reference Dapps to maximize onboarding and usage, which are critical for network growth (expected full-time for 4 months @ $3,500/mo)
- Technical Writer: Responsible for creating Developer Documentation to enable easy usage and onboarding of Dapp developers (expected full-time for 1 month @ $2,000/mo)
To generate adoption, we would also propose to work with ICON to fund the initial growth of the Commerce 3.0 Network on ICON. We have had success jumpstarting the network on Ethereum through a community-focused staking reward mechanism, and we propose to use ICX to similarly jumpstart the network of buyers and community leaders on ICON. The additional amount of reward can be mutually decided on at a later date.
In summary, we are asking for $88,000 (~500,000 ICX at Jan 26 close price), distributed as follows:
- Month 1: $12,000 (Developer, Marketer)
- Month 2: $15,500 (Developer, Marketer, UI/UX)
- Month 3: $15,500 (Developer, Marketer, UI/UX)
- Month 4: $15,500 (Developer, Marketer, UI/UX)
- Month 5: $15,500 (Developer, Marketer, UI/UX)
- Month 6: $14,000 (Developer, Marketer, Tech Writer)
Official Team Name
Team Contact Information
The SesameOpen team is reachable via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our Telegram group: https://t.me/SesameOpen_EN