I did a thorough analysis of all the CPS projects, without going into too much depth, here are some issues and thoughts I came across:
First off all, we should establish the fine line between:
- What CPS grants are for and what the foundation should pay for.
- Secondly, what the CPS is for and what it is not for.
Current Issues with CPS:
Marketing within CPS:
Many projects are taking ‘marketing’ budgets for their project, not thorough detail and no confirmation that this will be spent on Marketing. Furthermore, if we are funding marketing for every single project, this is not feesable, marketing for projects should be funded upon completion, i.e. sales of NFT’s.
Question: Should CPS fund marketing initiatives? Especially whilst it is funding the creation of the Dapp. Regarding ICON marketing, shouldn’t this be paid for by the foundation?
Low quality of delivery and lack of accountability
Many projects seem to have just vanished, other projects continously take funding whilst remaining incomplete and nothing to show. Other projects have taken a lot more than proposed and have nothing to show.
Some projects go unknown, are poor quality and lack potential, not sure why they’re funded
Dapps with DAO taking CPS:
Projects with a DAO and other revenues of funding are still taking funding money from CPS.
Dapps not being built on ICON:
Many dapps not being built on ICON, with no clear plan of how they will implement BTP and grow ICON.
Lack of open-source code:
- Projects that take CPS funding should opensource their code and resources.
Value of workers (The aim is to not confine but there should be certain limits), questions arise:
- Are project managers needed in a web3 start-up? aren’t they part of the entrepreneurial group already? I.e. the dev, designer, web dev?
- Should CPS fund content writers of projects?
- Should CPS fund community managers of projects?
- What’s the max value for types of jobs?
- Do some jobs require two people?
- Time-scale for some projects is absured
CPS is not your pillow
Projects should not expect constant funneling of funds, and reapplying for the same project. For example, if certain areas of your project was not factored, this should not result in a renewed funding of for your whole team for a further term.
CPS is not here to fund teams, but projects.