Catalyst: P-Rep Governance Meetings Proposal

Please see attached high-level overview of a Governance Meeting proposal that many teams have expressed interest in. We intentionally didn’t go into too much detail as there are so many unknowns about the specifics of how they will play out.

As the document states, the intent of these meetings is to address issues that need addressing, determine next-steps, make decisions to check them off the list, and follow up on still-unresolved items. And of course discussion on contentious and hot topics.

How these meetings will actually play out will probably be figured out over time.

Please check out the document and give any feedback you like. We have roughly a week and a half to two weeks before Brian from RHIZOME (initial Chair of the meetings) was thinking we could have our first.

Appreciate any input. Zoom was selected as an option for the video streaming.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIhDYkBIs3qWSph0_xTi9BUEoTvwDTuH/view?usp=sharing

4 Likes

Thank you guys for taking the long-overdue initiative. I will be representing ICONVIET in the bi-weekly governance meeting.

2 Likes

Excellent! Great initiative.

I want to suggest we have a system/plan to establish main discussion points ahead of time. Would be nice to give our part time P-Reps some help to get up to speed on said topics.

2 Likes

We’re working on a submission system. Will share it sometime tomorrow!

1 Like

Thank you for this idea! It is very important to hold such meetings. Everstake agrees!

1 Like

Thanks @Catalyst and @bwhli for this initiative :grinning:

Looking forward to having constructive meetings!

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

I am working on a GitHub and YouTube for these meetings. These meetings involve all teams, so we will not be hosting the materials and YouTube stream on our own accounts.

1. The GitHub will have a folder for each meeting, and P-Reps will be able to submit topics for discussion via pull request. Two days before the meeting, I will compile the topics submitted into a meeting itinerary. If P-Reps do not know how to use GitHub (please learn :p), topics can be submitted through email as well, and I will add them to GitHub. This is similar to how many open source communities handle these kinds of meetings.
  2. The GitHub will also have a static site repo that will automatically generate a site with meeting notes after the meeting. That way ICONists will be able to view meeting minutes in a centralized place.

I will finish up the guidelines this weekend, and we will have one week for P-Reps to submit topics.

1 Like

Hey y’all:) Happy Wednesday!!! Just a few suggestions… What is wrong with posting the topics on this thread to keep everything in one place? The Icon Foundation will decide on proceeding with some of the ideas the PREPS come up so I think for transparency we should keep the discussion topics on a forum that the Icon Foundation has approved (which is this one). Again, this is just us throwing our ideas into the mix:) Have a great rest of your day everyone!

2 Likes

Thank you for this post. It’s really great to see P-Rep teams stepping up to collaborate.

We, the ICON Foundation P-Rep, team members were also planning to initiate a regular meeting. It seems you beat us to it. We have a list of topics where we’d like to chair/lead the discussion. Therefore, I see a couple of options:

1. ICON Foundation can host a separate meeting - We acknowledge Catalyst / Rhizome Reps may already have an agenda and we want to be respectful of their time and efforts for organizing this.

2. ICON Foundation can chair/lead at least the first few of this meeting - I plan to personally lead the discussion. We’re open to accepting discussion topics from other P-Reps prior to the meeting. No offense taken if Catalyst / Rhizome declines this option.

Additional note: Unfortunately, I can only do calls on the weekdays. Weekends are dedicated to family. I hope you understand.

Thank you,

Min

4 Likes

Min,

We feel having the Icon PREP team lead these meetings makes the most sense. Just keep us updated and look forward to future collaborations!!!

It is great to see global participation from multiple talented PREP teams!

4 Likes

Looking forward to joining these. Thanks to all of the parties working to coordinate and arrange this. I’ll stay tuned for details, but if there is anything my team or I can do to help with organizing just say the word.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it.

Can you tell us a little more about when ICON Foundation plans to start the meetings? My gut tells me we should just have one governance meeting to avoid confusion/optimize attendance. I don’t think many teams would attend two sets of meetings a week - that’s way too much time, and a bit redundant.

I lost a week in planning time for this meeting as my little one has been sick for a week and a half now, so if ICON is also planning meeting, I think we should just discuss the Foundation’s proposal, and come up with a good structure for the meetings.

Let me know what you think.

6 Likes

Thank you for this initiative! We are definitely interested and look forward to participating and increasing synergy and collaboration of p reps!

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ll wait for more opinions and respond again.

3 Likes

A consolidated meeting would be helpful. Too long of a meeting with too much agenda can be unproductive. I suggest we layout 3-5 urgent topics the first meeting.

1 Like

Hello,

1. My proposal is to start with a monthly conference call. If needed, we can change to bi-monthly as first suggested. I’m sure we might need to change the format as we go along. If you agree, then how about Feb 14th at the time originally suggested (e.g. 3pm Pacific Time)?

2. I do agree with Silicon Valley ICON’s idea. Let’s stick to 3-5 urgent topics. Please share your topics that you’d like to include. As mentioned, I have some I wish to cover, but I’ll try my best to take a couple of topics from other P-reps.

2 Likes

Min, any chance you can link your conference call to this forum when complete so PREPS unable to attend will be able to view?

1 Like

I think Feb 14th is fine! Will think about some topics and share this week. What are your thoughts on live-streaming for ICONists to watch?

1 Like

My original idea was to live stream the meetings on YouTube, and then the meetings would live on YouTube afterward in case anyone wanted to review it.

2 Likes

Block42 is interested in joining this meetings, is 14th of February date final? If you would do a live stream it would help with the transparency so sure we are up for that.

2 Likes