Catalyst: P-Rep Governance Meetings Proposal

Actually,

We had initially toyed around with the idea of a meeting “With the Foundation” once a month, and then do P-Rep meetings weekly. We incorrectly assumed sitting down with the Foundation would be difficult to accomplish so we settled on “just” P-Rep meetings.

This actually fits perfectly with the original plan, as Min has suggested his meeting would be monthly.

I think a monthly meeting where we can get guidance and support from the Foundation is incredibly helpful, and we can crank through the list of items in our weekly meeting still as P-Reps.

I think this is the best approach.

Note: This is a slight variation from the proposal which suggests meetings only twice a month. I have a list of at least 17 things that need attention right now and I personally think a weekly meeting (with no staunch attendance requirement) would help us move forward more effectively, so I’m considering suggesting weekly instead. Attendance is always optional, and we should have a way for those that miss the meetings to contribute their thoughts / opinions in between meetings.

I have spent the last 2 weeks listening to the community and documenting their technical issues and concerns as well as incomplete business dev / technical dev / random items that we can delegate to P-Rep teams for completion. There are a lot of issues as this is our first meeting. These meetings really just are a “catalyst” to “getting stuff done”. So just the act of raising the issue, delegating its completion, and then following up in the next meeting will be powerfully effective, long term for forward progress.

I will edit this message and add all the items in a bulleted list if anyone would like to see. Check back if its not already there.

Is everyone okay with a Monthly Foundation Meeting for guidance, and a Weekly P-Rep Meeting for delegation and completion of specific issues?

1 Like

For Everstake - okay

maybe
Call with foundation - one per month
Call with P-Reps - every 2 weeks (like every sprint)

Weekly is fine, but I’d be ok with bi-weekly as well. If we do go weekly, can I suggest that the P-Rep/ICON Foundation meeting count as one of the weekly meetings? Can I also suggest somewhat of a repeating schedule? Something like the examples below:

Monthly Weekly Meeting Schedule:

• 1st Friday of the month 3pm PST: P-Rep meeting
  • 2nd Friday of the month 3pm PST: P-Rep/ICON Foundation meeting
  • 3rd Saturday of the month: 12:00 pm PST: P-Rep meeting
  • 4th Thursday of the month: 10:00 am PST: P-Rep meeting

Monthly Bi-Weekly Meeting Schedule:

• 1st Friday of the month 3pm PST: P-Rep meeting
  • 2nd Friday of the month 3pm PST: P-Rep/ICON Foundation meeting
  • 3rd Saturday of the month: 12:00 pm PST P-Rep meeting

I’m thinking it might be good to stagger the days/times to try to ensure there is at least 1 convenient day/time for all teams to attend at least once a month.

If it’d be helpful, I’d be happy to volunteer to create the calendar and add weekly agendas to each. I’m trying to avoid having “too many cooks in the kitchen” here, because that can often complicate things and slow them down. But, if we did need someone to handle that task I’d be happy to do it. If someone already entrenched in organizing this wants to take that - I get it and thank you for doing so.

Unfortunately, I can’t make the call on the 14th though. I’m bummed about that but I should be able to attend future calls on ICONation’s behalf. I’ll see if anyone else on the ICONation team can attend the 14th though.

The onus for the weekly meeting suggestion was just based on some experience I have managing projects in my professional career. When meeting only 2x a month, significant time passes before you meet again, only to find out that several items are still pending. Then you need to wait another two weeks to see if they’re resolved. Roadblocks came up, questions needed revisiting, etc. As the cycle continues, months can roll by, very quickly. Regrouping weekly allows us to quickly knock out any roadblocks and keep things rolling for the next week. None of the meetings would be mandatory and all are viewable after-the-fact, so maybe only the craziest of us will be there every week :slight_smile: If you want twice a month meetings, that can be still your attendance reality. Just a suggestion - up to you guys.

To Min: @minhx

I spoke with Brian and we agreed that we wanted to be respectful of the Foundations intentions for their meetings. But if there was no overlap, the two types of meetings could have very different purposes and coexist. If you look at the P-Rep meeting proposal in this thread, do you feel that the meetings you envisioned with the Foundation would overlap in intention / structure / purpose? Or were they going to be a higher level / different type of meeting altogether?

I always envisioned that a Foundation meeting would be for guidance and higher level discussions, whereas P-Rep meetings were for specifics, nitty gritty, and delegating community-need related items to teams and community members for followup and completion. (and example list of items we have would be helpful here, but im still working on writing it up).

1 Like

Sounds good. I’m on board for whatever and intend to attend as many meetings as possible.

I do agree that a weekly approach is a good one for the reasons specified.

Hello,

Event: P-rep Governance Meeting #1
Date/Time: February 14, 2019 / 3-5PM PST (2 hours max)
Venue: Zoom (will provide soon)

Meeting Agenda

1. IISS Revision: We’ll be sharing IISS Revision proposal next week. The goal is to create a fairer reward distribution while we continue to invest into projects that drive ecosystem growth.

2. i_rep: Some P-reps have proposed to lower i_rep due to recent ICX price increase. We should hear pros and cons of this action.

3. P-rep Contribution: Many have asked how P-reps can contribute more. The foundation will talk about what we hope to achieve / goals.

Meeting Format

• Please dial-in 15 minutes prior to the meeting to test your video, microphone, and internet connection
  • The meeting will be recorded
  • The Foundation will moderate the discussion and control MUTE BUTTON
  • If you wish to speak, please write in the chat room “[Insert team name] would like to speak next”
  • Due to limited time and number of participants, please limit speaking to 1 time per topic and speaking time to 1 minute. You may speak again if everyone had a chance and if time permits.
  • When speaking, please clearly state your position (AGREE or DISAGREE) and explain your reasoning.
5 Likes

Great idea :sunglasses:

1 Like

Midnight - 2 AM is pretty bad timing for Europe, but Blockmove will be there. Looking forward to IISS revision proposal.

2 Likes

Thanks @minhx

Question for everyone: It seems the Foundation meeting is a higher-level meeting. Ours will be primarily addressing a list of community-reported issues (i.e.iconex bug reports, division of telegram channels for mainnet/test, etc) and initiatives that have been pending which need delegation (complete trezor integration, Dapp marketing site integrations, etc).

Since Min’s first meeting falls on the 14th, and we had planned P-Rep meetings Sundays, did you want to wait until the Sunday after, or get right into it on Sunday the 16th?

Based on Min’s meeting agenda, I tend to lean towards it not being a replacement for P-Rep meetings, but you guys are the ones who should decide.

Also, I wonder if ICON Vote could somehow be integrated into this system. It might be interesting to make calls for agree/disagree on certain voiced decisions as we knock through the list. Possible way to improve communication from lurkers during meetings. @BennyOptions_LL @daekilee5

2 Likes

Jump right into it. Let’s have a meeting on the 16th and let’s make the P-Rep meetings separate from the Foundation one.

Really bummed I can’t make the call on the 14th, but I would love to join on the 16th if one gets scheduled.

Hello,

We welcome the initiative and we are looking forward to future meetings. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to attend this one due to the main job obligations. It would most kind if meeting video would be shared here for the P-Reps that were unable to attend.

Wish you all a positive and productive meeting.

1 Like

Hello,

Some updates to the meeting below.

Event: P-rep Governance Meeting #1
Date/Time: February 14, 2019 / 3-5PM PST (2 hours max)
Venue: Zoom (see below)

Meeting Agenda

1. Check-in: Quick P-rep introduction in the order of ranking on Overview - icon.community - (20 min)

2. IISS Revision: Discuss IISS Revision proposal. The goal is to create a fairer reward distribution while we continue to invest into projects that drive ecosystem growth. - (30 min)

3. i_rep: Should we all lower i_rep? We should hear pros and cons of this action. - (30 min)

4. P-rep Contribution: Many have asked how P-reps can contribute more. The foundation will talk about what we hope to achieve / goals.

Meeting Format

1. Test Your Equipment: Please dial-in 15 minutes prior to the meeting to test your video, microphone, raise hand feature, and internet connection.

2. Video and Audio: Optional. This is your personal choice.

3. Recording and Publishing: The meeting will be recorded and uploaded on Youtube for the community. By joining the video conference, the ICON Foundation reserves the right to record, publish, and distribution the video content.

4. Language: English only.

5. Moderator: The Foundation will moderate the discussion and control MUTE BUTTON. If you wish to speak, please use RAISE HAND feature. The moderator will select the speakers.

6. Time Limit: Due to limited time and number of participants, please limit speaking to 1 time per topic and speaking time to 1 minute. You may speak again if everyone had a chance and if time permits.

7. Speak Clearly: When speaking, please clearly state your position (AGREE or DISAGREE) and explain your reasoning.

ZOOM CONFERENCE CALL INFORMATION

Hi there,

You are invited to a Zoom meeting.
When: Feb 14, 2020 03:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJQkduqvpzIit518_oqUOVYO5MdsTOEgfQ

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

4 Likes

What is the meeting capacity? I am wondering if multiple members of teams can join.

I believe 100…

Min,

We appreciate the meeting agenda and look forward to reviewing it. We are ranked #66 and may not be called upon during the meeting so we want to share our teams thoughts on the items in advance.

• IISS Revision- We are excited to see the final details on this and have followed updates on possibilities of what the revision may look like.

We feel any revision will have little chance of passing through a vote because voting in favor may hurt a main PREP’S own earnings. We will hear many reasons why the current system works perfectly.

• IREP- We appreciate you taking the time and discussing this during the meeting. We brought this up as a discussion topic for the first meeting and want to share more details.

We foresee the same responses will be made to the IISS revision. Why would a team vote or agree with lowering their salary when it does not benefit them? No PREP, except ICX Station has lowered their IREP when price increased (this again, foreshadows PREPS lowering their future rewards).

Since we feel both of these topics will not change if the top 22 preps have to vote them in we have an idea.

*** The Icon foundation and ICX Station can drastically lower their IREP to 10,000 which will reduce PREP rewards (by around 20%) and will not require a vote. This can be done without a vote and will work within the current system. This will reduce yearly inflation and brings us closer to 5% annual inflation.

Minimum value of irep is 10,000 as described on pg. 20 https://m.icon.foundation/download/IISS_Paper_v2.0_EN.pdf

1 Like

Appreciate you catching that Tomas!

I hope the main PREPS know we support them and their contributions and we love being a Sub-Prep.

We know we are extreme on lowering PREP rewards but also want to fund PREPS like your team that builds sustainable value to Icon. We are excited to see the Icon Foundation’s proposal this week!

2 Likes

100 members in zoom are possible

I am going to try and help grow the London presence of ICON this year so I just wanted to add to the comments that these are bad times for Europeans. While I appreciate the reason for the time of the day to cross time-zones, it would be much preferred on a Monday or Tuesday going forward than it would be on a Friday or Saturday which are likely to be times we are away from office/home. This meeting falls in the evening on a Friday on Valentine’s Day for example.

3 Likes

Great! Not sure that we will be able to make it, will do our best!